Sunday, April 21, 2013

LIU Post Oral Competency Exam

If you are reading this blog post you most likely go to Long Island University Post (or C.W Post) and you have to take the Oral Competency Exam. Now there is very little information online about this test and no one I know took it. Yet we need it to graduate. I'm writing this post because I'm a senior and I waited to the very last semester to take this test. The night before the test I tried to find information on what to expect. There is nothing so I'm going to document my experience taking this test so you know what to expect.

First you have to make an appointment to take it. I made mine during common hour. The test is only supposed to take about 10 minutes. The test takes place in the speech building (it’s behind the book store). You walk into the office, and you tell them your name. They will have you sit in the waiting area; there are a lot of old people there because they run a speech clinic. Once they are ready, a grad student will call your name and take you to a room. They will ask you a few questions about your hearing and then give you one of those hearing test where you have to raise your hand when you hear the beep. After you take the hearing test she gives you a sheet of paper with a paragraph on it and you have to read it out loud. The one I had to read was someone talking about their grandfather it was really weird. Just make sure you read it slowly and clearly.
That's it! It's a really easy test and I don't think anyone fails it, but I wanted to have some information on it online so future students don't get worked up about it like I did. I hope it helps!
As always follow me on twitter and tumblr. Also feel free to ask me any C.W Post related questions :).