Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rejection Hurts !

            So as you all know by now I am on a quest to find something to do with my summer ( I would love to spend my summer scaring my dad but that doesn’t pay and makes him super cranky). I’ve been applying to every place I can think of. I’ve contacting places for marketing internships and handed in applications to every part time job. Let me tell you something applications are the worst thing to fill out! They take forever and you have to answer the same thing OVER AND OVER again!
               Everyone knows how the job application process goes, if they like you they will call you in for a interview and if they don’t then you won’t hear from them. But the strangest thing happened to me the other day. I applied to a food store called Trader Joes, It’s not my dream job but it’s close to my home and it’s a way of making some money. One thing they made me do that I absolutely hate is they made me fill out the application in the store. I hate that because like I said they take forever to fill out and you always have to look up phone numbers and addresses for your references, doing all that while standing at a store counter is just awkward with employees moving around you and customers ask you questions thinking you work there. So after I finished the application and handed it in the manager started to ask me a few questions about why I wanted to work there. First of all my I was with my friend and we both applied at the same time so it was weird that they asked us questions together, like we were doing a double interview. I also hate answering the question why do I want to work here for a part time job like that. What am I supposed to say? “I love bagging groceries” “I have a passion for stocking tomatoes” no it’s a friggin part time job! I want to work there because I need money and have no skills to offer in the real world!
         As you can tell I clearly wasn’t cut out for this job. The whole reason I’m doing a blog post on this is the way they rejected me. I applied for the job on Wednesday afternoon and by Friday morning I received a letter in the mail. The letter said “Dear Alyssa, Thank you for taking the time to explore a crew position with Trader Joe’s. After Careful consideration, however, you have not been selected for an interview. The time you spend exploring the opportunity here at Trader Joe’s is appreciated. We’re thrilled that you enjoy our stores enough to explore a career with us, and I hope that you continue to find new and interesting products to enjoy. Best of luck in the job search.”

               I read the letter and actually laughed out loud with my family. My dad asked me if I accidently applied for the CEO of the company instead of the cashier. I’ve never heard of getting a rejection letter for a part time job. Why would they take the time to reject me like that? They should have just not called me like the rest of the world. The rejection letter made me laugh and I took a picture of it so the rest of the world can laugh with me!

Keep checking my blog for more random stories about my life that I think are laugh out loud worthy!